Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Bitter Demise of Garfield Blanket

I almost got away with it.

You see, it all began about 2 years ago, when my husband's mother bequeathed us a garage full of his childhood things.

Among them, was his old Garfield Blanket.

Let me start by saying that Garfield was threadbare when he came into my care. He snuggled my boys, went on a couple of picnics, and was a generally loved member of the family, despite his age, and despite being well-worn with love.

But this past weekend, while Garfield Blanket was taking a bath in my low-agitation-make-your-clothes-last-longer washing machine, he fell apart.

I looked him over carefully, wondering if I could stitch him back together, but alas, he was just to worn.

So I snuck him into the trash can. I took the trash out three days in a row, just to be safe. I figured a silent disappearance would be the lest painful departure. No one would miss him for a while, and then one day my husband would say, "where is Garfield Blanket?" And I would say, "Hmmm, I havn't seen him since the move..." And the mystery would never be solved.

Had the stars aligned differently I would have gotten away with it. But Trash Day just happened to coincide with Feildtrip Day.

Had it not been Feildtrip Day, Brandon wouldn't have been working at home.

Had it not been Feildtrip Day, the Adventurer would have been at pre-school.

Had it not been Feildtrip Day, the Entertainer would have run screaming inside, like he does every Tuesday when the Trash Truck comes.

Had it not been Feildtrip Day, Garfield Blanket would have exited without a voice.

But it was Feildtrip Day. Brandon was working at home, The Adventurer wasn't at school, the Entertainer wasn't afraid of the Trash Truck. So while they were playing outside, waiting to leave for the Feildtrip, the trashman came, lifted up the trashcan, and dumped Garfield Blanket into his truck.

The Adventurer came screaming inside, "Mooooooooommmyyyyyy! SOMEONE put Daddy's Garflied Blanket IN THE TRASH CAN!!!!"

Busted.

All I have to say is that atleast I never layed Garfield Blanket on the floor of the garage so that I wouldn't get the floor dirty while I was changing the oil. Like someone did to my beatuful flower comforter that I hand painted with glitter and was saving the daughter I would one day have.

No, that never happened to Garfield Blanket. Garfield Blanket had the opprotunity to live a full life, getting lots of snuggles and picnic lunches. Glittery-Flower Blanket never got any of those opprotunities.

But I'm not bitter. Well, maybe alittle. But Garfeild Blanket really did fall apart all on his own.

2 comments: